Look how far I have come with the ribbing on the Belcarra Cardigan!
It's really ripping!
And when I say ripping, I don't mean splendid: I mean actually ripping it out!
I got this far and realised that the skein would run out along the front panel somewhere:
I usually make very neat joins and weave in ends so they are almost invisible but I didn't want the possibility of even the slightest irregularity showing on the front of the garment.
To save trouble later I decided to rip back to the centre back of the neckline …
… and continue on again from there.
This is another example of me 'overthinking' the process. I was concerned that I would have to somehow weave the ends into the ribbing and that it would be hard to hide them because the nature of working into one loop only means that the top of the each ribbing stitch is exposed.
This is different to a regular fabric of solid stitches working into both loops where one can run the loose ends across the tops of each stitch and totally enclose the ends above both loops.
So, after ripping back and joining in the new yarn, I realised that I didn't need to weave any ends into the ribbing after all. I chose to join the new yarn where the ribbing joins the body and I was able to hide the yarn ends in the body fabric.
After that, I didn't know whether to feel silly for ripping back or to feel satisfied that the centre back is a more logical place to make the join anyway with no chance of problems along the front.
You may notice from the photographs that I still haven't finished seaming the second sleeve. The first one was such a challenge–my brain was hurting at the end of it–that I couldn't bear to think about seaming the other sleeve for a while.
Meanwhile, the ribbing itself is very straightforward–working even–so it shouldn't take long to get through it.
"Seams Easy", 23 October 2014: http://lupeyloops.blogspot.com.au/2014/10/belcarra-cardigan-seams-easy.html