These are links to the offending site:
You may recognise the words and pictures (!) of Lupey Loops from here:
This is stealing and a breach of copyright. You will notice that there is a copyright notice on the bottom of every page of this blog. Not only is unauthorised publication of copyrighted material illegal, it is very bad manners; very poor form indeed!
The least one can do is to ask the copyright owners for permission. For most works, it is relatively easy to contact the copyright owners. It isn't difficult and it doesn't usually take long.
For anything that I publish on my blog that is not my own work, I seek permission to use the photos or text first. and most of the time, the copyright owners will say yes. Besides the legal obligation, it is plain good manners to let people know how and where you would like to use the material and to let them have a say as to how it is used. Also, if you are using someone else's photo or text or ideas, it is important to share the love and give credit to the original creator.
The person who has stolen my material has attempted to steal the copyright ownership of my work as well because they have published my work on their site without crediting me as the author, and then tried to own the copyright by putting their own copyright notice onto it! It's outrageous!
If you would like to find out more about copyright, here are some resources to get you started. The following links about copyright and intellectual property are not a substitute for personal professional legal advice.
- IP Australia, Australian Government, Australia: http://www.ipaustralia.gov.au/
IP Australia is the Australian Government agency that administers intellectual property rights regarding patents, trade marks, designs and plant breeders' rights.
- Federal Register of Legislation, Australian Government:
- Copyright Act 1968, compilations: https://www.legislation.gov.au/Series/C1968A00063
- Copyright Act 1968, Act No. 63 of 1968, Compilation 52, 22 March 2017: https://www.legislation.gov.au/Details/C2017C00094
- "Intellectual Property", web page, last updated April 2017, European Commission, Belgium: https://ec.europa.eu/growth/industry/intellectual-property_en
- Copyright.gov, US Copyright Office, USA: https://www.copyright.gov/
The US Copyright Office administers aspects of the 1976 Copyright Act and the 1998 Digital Millenium Copyright Act.
- "Copyright Law of the United States", US Copyright Office, USA: https://www.copyright.gov/title17/
- Rexroat, Toni, "Crochet Copyright 101", online article, 27 April 2012, Interweave, Interweave Press, USA: http://www.interweave.com/article/crochet/crochet-copyright-101/
- "Know Your Rights: copyright 101 for crocheters", free eBook, 26 April 2012, Crochet Me, Interweave Press, USA: http://www.interweave.com/article/crochet/know-your-rights-copyright-101-for-crocheters/
Which copyright issues have you observed
in your crafting life?
in your crafting life?
Related Posts on Lupey Loops
"Fashioning the Fab Four (Part 2): Fab Four Fine Print", 31 January 2013: https://lupeyloops.blogspot.com.au/2013/01/fashioning-fab-four-part-2-fab-four.html
"MCTD - Mandatory Crochet Therapy Daily", 13 February 2014: http://lupeyloops.blogspot.com.au/2014/02/mctd-mandatory-crochet-therapy-daily.html
"MCTD Resources", web page: http://lupeyloops.blogspot.com.au/p/blog-page.html