This weekend marks the 18th annual Alice Springs Beanie Festival.
(Friday 20 June - Monday 23 June)
|A selection of my crocheted beanies.|
Alice Springs, in central Australia (Northern Territory) is the beanie capital of Australia because it gets sooo cold overnight in its arid environment.
The Alice Springs Beanie Festival gets bigger every year!
One of these years, I will have to participate, won't I? Especially after my 'beanie marathon' last year.
My imagination has taken off now and I envision a great rail journey on The Ghan from Adelaide to Alice Springs - sitting in a comfortable carriage, crochet in hand as the changing scenery inspires my creativity.
If you need creative inspiration, the Beanie Festival offers free downloads of beanie patterns (.pdf) here.
If you cannot get to Alice Springs, you may be lucky enough to view the Beanie Festival's touring exhibition if it travels to your district.
For more information about the Beanie Festival and Alice Springs, just follow the link to <www.beaniefest.org>.
What is your favourite beanie?
Do you use a pattern? If so, which patterns do you recommend?
P.S. I love an article and video by ABC Alice Springs of "How to Crochet a Beanie" because it states that the simplest technique for making a beanie is crochet! Also, if you need a fix of the Australian accent, this will delight you.
- ABC News stories about the Beanie Festival:
- 2014 (News) - http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-06-20/red-centre-stitches-up-head-turning-entries-for/5539062
- 2014 (News) - http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-06-20/benie-festival-beanies/5539318
- 2012 (AM radio program) - http://www.abc.net.au/am/content/2012/s3531748.htm
- 2011 - http://www.abc.net.au/local/stories/2011/06/23/3252012.htm
- 2002 - http://www.abc.net.au/radio/rpf/stories/s1305801.htm
- Alice Springs: http://www.travelnt.com/alice-springs-and-surrounds.aspx
- Alice Springs Aboriginal language and cultures, Alice Springs Desert Park: http://www.alicespringsdesertpark.com.au/kids/culture/groups.shtml
- Alice Springs Beanie Festival: www.beaniefest.org
- Alice Springs Beanie Festival National Tour: http://www.beaniefest.org/index.php/news-and-events/national-tour
- Alice Springs Indigenous communities, Alice Springs Town Council: http://www.alicesprings.nt.gov.au/alice-springs-community/indigenous
- Alice Springs Tourism, Alice Springs Town Council: http://www.alicesprings.nt.gov.au/tourism/tourism
- Beanie patterns (free) from the Beanie Festival: http://www.beaniefest.org/index.php/2013-11-12-01-28-43
- The Ghan (Adelaide - Darwin): http://www.greatsouthernrail.com.au/site/the_ghan.jsp?gclid=CPjmyvTmkroCFYtgpQodMGYAAQ
- Great Southern Rail (The Ghan & Indian Pacific): http://www.greatsouthernrail.com.au/site/home.jsp
- "How to Crochet a Beanie", ABC Alice Springs: http://www.abc.net.au/local/videos/2011/06/23/3251641.htm?site=alicesprings
- Indigenous beanie making programs: http://www.beaniefest.org/index.php/our-story/indigenous-beanie-making-programs
- Lupey Loops, "Beanie Marathon", blog entry, 31 May 2013: http://lupeyloops.blogspot.com.au/2013/05/beanie-marathon.html
- Travel NT: http://www.travelnt.com/