Saturday 14 September 2019

On Show!

My self-designed broomstick lace slouch beanie
in the cabinet at the Royal Adelaide Show 2019!
[Photo: D.M.]

I nearly didn't make it to the 
Royal Adelaide Show this year
even though my work was entered 
and on display!



For the second year in a row, I lost a week of my life to a lurgy that happened to coincide with show week.

It was so disappointing to be laid up in bed when the original intention was to visit the showgrounds.

Fortunately, generous friends took photos on my behalf when they attended the annual spring agricultural and horticultural show–the biggest in South Australia.

It's tricky to take photos there too because of the glare of fluorescent lighting against the glass.  Many thanks to my lovely friends who were just as excited as I was to see my hat on display. I am lucky to have so many gorgeous people in my life.

The hat was displayed at the top of the cabinet with the rear 'seam' facing up for all to see.
It's not really a single seam at all. The hat was made in the round,
joining at the end of each round before turning for the next.
[Photo: L.C.]


This broomstick lace beanie was worked in the round from the band up to the crown. The lace loops were staggered between rounds to make the beanie 'slouchier' because stitches worked on the bias can achieve a better 'drape'.  

This also meant that the joins of each round were staggered too. For the uninitiated, one might suppose there is a very crooked rear seam (but there is no single seam). Fortunately, the multicolours camouflage the irregularity.  The finished 'slouchiness' is more important so this staggering of broomstick lace loops is a design decision I am willing to wear!* 


Look at all the crocheted loveliness in the cabinet.
[Photo: L.C.]

The display from 'a wheelie point of view'.
[Photo: G.L.]


WAIT A MINUTE!

What is that blue hanging there?

Is it attached to my beanie?







Broomstick lace slouch beanie designed by Jodiebodie.
First Prize, Royal Adelaide Show 2019
Class no. 439: Hat or Cap, crocheted.


Wow!  How lucky to be a winner.  How frustrating to be stuck in bed.  
Meanwhile, I wondered about the competition. What were the other hats like?  Who else won prizes?  Will there be familiar names from the Beanies to Berets exhibition?

The last Saturday of the show was my last chance to get there.  I was still unwell but at least I could get up and about (at long last) to use the small window of time and energy on Saturday morning.

Second Prize (unnamed entrant)
Class 439; Hat or Cap, crocheted.
There was just time to get in, see the textiles and get home again.  I found the Second Prize winner (red ribbon) but could not find the Third Prize winner  (white ribbon) on display. 

Second Prize was awarded to a beanie which looked like it was made with crocheted slip stitches.  It used short rows to shape the crown. It appeared to be seamed with a straight seam at the back (if my memory serves me correctly).

When I collected my beanie, I learned that there was no Third Prize issued because the entries did not meet the standard.  That was disappointing and surprising news because I expected better competition. On the other hand, I am grateful that the judges are maintaining the integrity of the show's standards.  

I'm told that the judges liked my beanie because it was 'different'.


That's not all …

Do you remember my post about the Sydney Royal Easter Show earlier this year?

HERE'S ANOTHER SURPRISE ANNOUNCEMENT:

 
Highly Commended Prize, Sydney Royal Easter Show 2019
Open Craft Class 128: Adult Crocheted Accessories.
Can include hats, mittens, scarves and socks.



I was keeping the Sydney Royal result a secret until I had tried my luck with the Royal Adelaide.  Unfortunately, I never got to see my beanie on display in Sydney or get any feedback on that entry but I was absolutely thrilled that it even got displayed, so the winning of ribbons is a bonus.  I was not expecting to win anything from Sydney.  

At the end of the day, it's a bit of fun to discover how my work is received by experienced crocheters and textile experts. It's an opportunity to see other people's amazing work, to learn, be challenged and be inspired.   

Why don't you join me next time?



What shall we enter next year?


Two ribbons from two shows in 2019!




*See what I did there? Pun intended.


Related Posts on Lupey Loops



"Showtime!", 13 April 2019: https://lupeyloops.blogspot.com/2019/04/showtime.html

"Royal Adelaide Show Results 2017", 17 October 2017: https://lupeyloops.blogspot.com/2017/10/royal-adelaide-show-results-2017.html

"Guessing Game Answer", 30 June 2017
https://lupeyloops.blogspot.com/2017/06/guessing-game-answer.html


"Beanies to Berets Exhibition & Sale Now Open!", 25 June 2017: https://lupeyloops.blogspot.com/2017/06/beanie-to-berets-exhibition-sale-now.html 




Links


Sydney Royal Easter Show (3–14 April 2020): https://www.eastershow.com.au/   

EKKA–Royal Queensland Show (7–16 August 2020): https://www.ekka.com.au/

Royal Adelaide Show (4–13 September 2020) : https://www.theshow.com.au/

Royal Melbourne Show (21 September–1 October 2020): https://royalshow.com.au/

Perth Royal Show (28 September–5 October 2019): https://www.perthroyalshow.com.au/

10 comments:

  1. Sorry you haven't been well, but glad you got there to see your prize winning entry. Of course you are 'willing to wear' it. Clever lass!. I have only entered a contest once - but perhaps I shall try again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mary-Anne,
      As a person who needed coaxing to enter a show, I am astonished at the results and surprised by the pride I am feeling after a lot of work to get to this point. Thank you for your support. My family described crochet as my "superpower". I think they might be right.

      You ought to have another go, Mary-Anne. You are such a productive knitter - surely your skills are honed to meet the standard. The fun comes from being involved, the anticipation, meeting other crafters and learning from them and their work.

      Why not start with a small competition and see how that goes? Every show is different too, so if you have no luck with one, try another. Most of all, have fun with it. Good luck! x

      Delete
  2. I hope you are feeling better now. I'm sure it was frustrating for you. Your beanie looks great. I love the colors and congratulations! Two years ago, I entered a crocheted blanket at the Maryland State Fair and was surprised to win 2nd place. Surprised because I really thought that another one of my blankets was going to win but didn't!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Carol,
      Thanks for your greetings and CONGRATULATIONS on being a 2nd Prize Winner at the Maryland State Fair. I had a quick look at its website and it looks like a BIG competition - so many categories. Well done! Can we see photos of your blankets online anywhere?

      Funny how the blanket you thought would win, didn't. One never can tell what the judges will decide. Are you going to enter again next year?

      Happy Crocheting!

      Delete
    2. Thanks! I really don't have any pictures of the blanket. I believe it was the Maybelle pattern. I did it in various shades of blue. I would enter but I have since moved to North Carolina!

      Delete
    3. I found this Maybelle baby blanket pattern on Ravelry: https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/maybelle-baby-blanket
      Is this the same pattern as yours? It's very pretty.

      Delete
    4. Yes! From My Rose Valley blog.

      Delete
  3. This is a beautiful hat, congratulations on this prize.
    Best regards, Irma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Irma :-)
      That particular yarn has been discontinued so this will be a unique hat.

      Delete