The Tour Down Under 2019 commences today with Stage 1 of the Women's Tour: Hahndorf to Birdwood. The circuit takes riders through the picturesque Adelaide Hills and includes the following towns along the way:
- Lobethal (twice)
- Gumeracha (twice)–sprints
- Forreston (twice)–Queen of the Mountain (QOM) climb (6%)
- Mt Pleasant
- Mt Torrens
- Charleston–QOM climb (7%)
It is disappointing that the coverage does not begin until Sunday 13 January 2019 to coincide with the preview to the men's racing ("Down Under Classic" 7:00 pm. local time), totally ignoring the first 3 stages of the Women's TDU (WTDU). Stage 4 of the women's race is earlier on the same Sunday (2:30 p.m., local time).
I'm told by Tour Down Under that there will be daily highlight videos provided on its social channels from tonight. I see some have been posted on the Tour Down Under Youtube channel.
For those of you hoping to catch a glimpse of today's landscape, this circuit will not be repeated in the men's race but some of these towns will be included in the following stages of the men's Tour Down Under:
- Stage 2 (16 Jan): Norwood to Angaston includes Gumeracha, Birdwood and
- Stage 3 (17 Jan): Lobethal to Uraidla includes Lobethal and Charleston.
- Stage 4 (18 Jan): Unley to Campbelltown includes Hahndorf, Woodside and Lobethal.
Tour Down Under 2018
Stage 5: McLaren Vale to Willunga
Stage 5: McLaren Vale to Willunga
20 January 2018
(continued from Part 1)
(continued from Part 1)
Pre-race formalities include signing on for the day but don't be late–no signature, no racing!
This is an opportunity for fans to see the riders at a slower pace.
|# 122 Antoine Duchesne (Canada, FDJ*)|
|#32 Adam Hansen (Australia, LTS*)|
|#162 Lukasz Wisniowski (Poland, SKY*)|
|#54 Lachlan Morton (Australia, DDD*)|
|#7 Rohan Dennis (Australia, BMC) is from Adelaide.|
There were six Adelaide 'locals' in the 2018 tour:
#5 Miles Scotson (BMC), #23 Alex Edmondson & #26 Damien Howson (MTS),
#184 Tim Roe & #187 Alexander Porter (AUS).
|#13 Sam Bennett (Ireland, BOH*)|
|#141 Elia Viviani (Italy, QST*), named as one of the riders to watch in 2019.|
|#41 Rui Faria Da Costa (Portugal, UAD*)|
|Who sports the King of the Mountain (KOM) spotted jersey while seeking shade amongst the support vehicles?|
|Every rider is either signed in or accounted for–retirements are crossed out.|
Almost ready to race!
|Last drinks before the starter's gun.|
|#172 Fumiyuki Beppu (Japan, TFS*)|
|Tension builds as riders take their starting positions.|
|Ready … set … go!|
|The riders make several passes through McLaren Vale |
on the way to Aldinga Beach and Willunga Hill.
|Whether a rider or spectator,|
Mclaren Vale is a lovely place to get a break-away!
(Did you see what I did there?)
I can't believe it took a whole year to share these, but now that's done, I can start again with this year's race!
The weather is going to be extremely hot which will limit my ability to go out. This is the forecast from 11 January 2019:
Fri: 39°C (102°F)
Sat: 32°C (90°F)
Sun: 35°C (95°F)
Mon: 40°C (104°F)
Tue: 41°C (106°F)
What's the climate like where you live?
What are your strategies for coping with weather extremes?
It will be a bittersweet tour this year after Paul Sherwen's passing in December. He and his best mate, co-commentator Phil Liggett were fixtures of the Tour Down Under. "We were joined at the hip," Phil Liggett says. The pair enjoyed the wining and dining culture of South Australia while here and they charmed everyone they met. It won't be the same race without their banter and expertise.
Phil Liggett "felt long and hard as to whether to continue broadcasting" without Paul Sherwen this year but Phil Liggett has arrived in Adelaide and I'm sure his cycling family will rally around him. There is a lot of love for them both in this town.
Hear Paul and Phil in the video highlights of the 2018 Stage 5 McLaren Vale to Willunga.
Do you have fond memories of Paul Sherwen?
Your thoughts are most welcome via the comment box below or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org
* Team codes listed at the end of the previous post.
Links & Related Posts on Lupey Loops
Australian Associated Press (AAP), "For Liggett, the cycling show must go on", SBS News, 10 January 2018: https://www.sbs.com.au/news/for-liggett-the-cycling-show-must-go-on
Bacon, Ellis, "5 riders to watch at the 2019 Tour Down Under", Cycling News, 9 January 2019: http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/5-riders-to-watch-at-the-2019-tour-down-under/
Cycling Central, "Our Heart is Breaking: Paul Sherwen dies aged 62", Special Broadcasting Service (SBS), 3 December 2018: https://www.sbs.com.au/cyclingcentral/article/2018/12/03/our-heart-breaking-paul-sherwen-dies-aged-62
Lupey Loops, "Tour Down Under 2018 Photos (Part 1)", 9 January 2019: https://lupeyloops.blogspot.com/2019/01/tour-down-under-2018-photos-part-1.html
See this previous blog entry for more cycling links.
Lupey Loops, "International Visitors", 8 January 2019: https://lupeyloops.blogspot.com/2019/01/international-visitors.html
Tour Down Under: http://tourdownunder.com.au/
- Broadcast & Coverage Guide: http://www.tourdownunder.com.au/watch/tv-and-streaming/broadcast-guide?utm_source=social&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=broadcast
- Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/tourdownunder/videos
Find highlight videos on the Youtube channel.
Tour Down Under 2018 Stage 5 McLaren Vale to Willunga:
- "Stage 5 preview | Santos Tour Down Under", [Youtube video], 19 January 2018: https://youtu.be/AkTUa2WVlso?list=PLDNADzJjCMtXhhMg-bxPx5Sh4YXHZeSr9
- "Highlights | Stage 5 | Santos Tour Down Under" [Youtube video], 19 January 2018: https://youtu.be/ZmWeb5aDcAM?list=PLDNADzJjCMtXhhMg-bxPx5Sh4YXHZeSr9
- "Riders at the start line | Stage 5 | Santos Tour Down Under", [Youtube video], 19 January 2018: https://youtu.be/wzP78QhpGcI?list=PLDNADzJjCMtXhhMg-bxPx5Sh4YXHZeSr9
- "Fan Cam | Stage 5 | Santos Tour Down Under", [Youtube video], 19 January 2018: https://youtu.be/93GbnBtUeSk?list=PLDNADzJjCMtXhhMg-bxPx5Sh4YXHZeSr9