Monday 12 May 2014

Knitting & Crochet Blog Week 2014: 1 - A Day in the Life #5KCBWDAY1

Today is the first day of 2014's Knitting & Crochet Blog Week facilitated by Eskimimimakes and the task for today is to "describe a day in the life of a project that you have made, or are in the process of making."


(Eskimimi provides her lovingly written example:  http://www.eskimimimakes.com/2014/05/5kcbwday1.html)

I have described the process of a few projects already on Lupey Loops but ever since I read the title for today, I've had that song playing in my head.

After making The Fab Four Amigurumi, the first thing I think of is The Beatles' song except with crochet and knitting references.  




I read my mags today, oh joy!
Four thousand holes in crocheted cardigan
And though the holes were rather small
I had to stitch them all,
Now I know how many holes it takes to make a lacy shawl.
I'd love to try you on...




I made my first cardigan in August 2010.
"Cardigan with Lacy Edging" by Melody Griffiths
Shown in Size 1 (smallest).



Lacy Shawls I Have Made

I hope that these pictures inspire you and give you some pattern ideas. I have listed the pattern details at the end of this post.

"Black Wisp Shawl" from Get Creative
Made in March 2010

"Glittering Gold Shawl" by Sandy Scoville
Made in December 2006

"Lacy Cape" by Carol Meldrum
Made in June 2010


"Spring Shawl" from Get Creative
Made in September 2007

"Sweet Pea Shawl" by Amie Hirtes
Made in January 2010


Lacy cardigans that I would like to try one day





References



  • Get Creative [magazine], “Black Wisp Shawl” page 26, Volume 2, Issue 9, Winter 2006, Brooke Hannaford Publishing.
    Project sheet was also published through Spotlight stores 2005.
  • Get Creative [magazine], “Spring Shawl” page 22, Volume 2, Issue 12, September 2006, Brooke Hannaford Publishing.
  • Griffiths, Melody, Crochet In No Time, 50 scarves, wraps, jumpers & more to make on the move,ISBN-13: 978-1-906525-31-6, Cico Books, an imprint of Ryland, Peters & Small Ltd, 20-21 Jockey's Fields, London, www.cicobooks.co.uk, 2009.
  • Hirtes, Amie, crochet designer, Nexstitch <http://www.nexstitch.com/>
  • Hirtes, Amie, “Sweet Pea Shawl”, page 106 of Stoller, 2006.
  • Meldrum, Carol, Easy Crocheted Accessories, page 78, Sally Milner Publishing, Bowral NSW, Australia, 2006.
    A very similar pattern was published as a project sheet called "Lace Cape" for Spotlight stores in 2006.
  • Scoville, Sandy, "Glittering Gold Shawl", page 61 of Weiss, 2004.
  • Stoller, Debbie, Stitch’n’bitch Crochet: The Happy Hooker, Workman Publishing, New York, USA, 2006.
  • Weiss, Rita, 24-hour Crochet Projects, Sterling, New York, USA, 2004.


Favourite Posts from Day 1


It is only Day 1 and already I have read posts that have beautiful expression, imagery, and originality. They may be fascinating, amusing, creative or deeply moving.  I share them here so that I can find them easily to re-read and for you to discover.



2 comments:

  1. Ha ha! You Tube, here I come!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I knew how to plug in some music into a blog page, I would add the original verse as a sound grab. In this instance, it was the last verse of the song that was in my head. Sorry for sending you off to You Tube. I will see if I can find a link somewhere to add to the page.

      Delete